Trip leader: Therese Eby 425-802-2281 firstname.lastname@example.org
Description: One of Florida’s designated state scenic rivers, the Myakka winds through beautiful open grasses and hardwood hammocks. The river attracts a wonderful diversity of birds. And gators? Yeah, we’ll see a few. This will be an out-and-back paddle, negating the need for shuttles. We’ll explore the river in each direction of our midpoint launch and turn around when we’re tired.
Location: Myakka River State Park is located at 13208 State Road 72 in Sarasota. We’ll meet at the Park Road canoe & kayak launch, near the bridge about one mile into the park from Hwy 72. Bathrooms are near the visitor center at the entrance of the park. Access a map/info of the park here.
Schedule: Meet at 9:00 a.m. Wednesday, Nov 25. On the water by 9:30, return early afternoon.
· Parking costs $5.60 per vehicle. Purchase your parking pass online before the trip here.
· Bring plenty of water to drink, lunch snacks, binoculars, and a camera for all those birds and gators.
· This trip will be capped at 6 paddlers, including the trip leader.
· To minimize contact among the group, pair up with another paddler for the day if help is needed moving boats between vehicles and launch.
· Bring biodegradable hand soap and hand sanitizer for use after handling someone else’s boat on or off the water.
· Have a face-covering for areas where you might get closer than 6' from others. The face buffs paddlers wear for sun protection work well for this. You can keep one around your neck and pull it up as needed.
· Maintain distance while on the water.
Difficulty: This is a Level 2 trip with the expectation that we’ll travel between 8 -12 miles. Some paddling against the current will be required.
Required gear: Wear a PFD with a whistle, and bring sun/insect protection. Refer to TBSK’s Skills Self Assessment Chart and contact the leader with any questions. Please register (or cancel) on the website or RSVP to the trip leader to allow notification of any changes.